Monday, February 2, 2009

1 John

Yes, I have taken a bit of a blogging "vacation."

As I was sharing to a friend the other day, blogging is a tough slog...but I know it is still worth it.
This week I am preparing my next sermon series based on 1 John. As I read through the book this afternoon, I was amazed the number of times that John repeated himself. Over and over he stressed the importance of "loving your brother" and how this really was a sign that we loved God.

Now this is quite a challenge, because often we are not going to care much about what somebody in another country does, or some actions that another person takes that doesn't personally touch us; however, when someone close to us - a family member, a friend, sibling, another person at church or work, offends us....watch out!!
People who push our buttons and cause us stress who are supposed to be our supporters, can really annoy us. So, how do we respond? Love or Anger? Bitterness or care?

John is going to challenge my heart as he calls believers to do a litmus test to see if they are really understanding, and just as important, living out God's love.

No comments: