Tuesday, February 10, 2009

1 John -God's Love... the First week

Here's my quick beef (I can't seem to figure out how to organize my posts under different headings - ok maybe I'm blind).

But as you can see this one is all about the new series 1 John.

After a couple days of studying the first passage I will preach on this week. I throw out some thoughts that have hit me:
  1. The author's message is heading toward the point that we must embrace the idea that Jesus came as fully God to this earth. Now can we accept that notion--- God living on earth, in a defined place & time? Ok, maybe in theory we can live without really wrestling with God, but here's the kicker - if Jesus lived on this earth, now we must listen to his exclusive words of life & truth! YIKES!!! I am now faced with the big question, which I am hearing John address in the first couple verses of 1 John, will I embrace the same Jesus that John said he turned his life over to?
  2. The other huge point of these first 4 verses is how Jesus had to be around from the beginning. Jesus' life didn't begin in a stable with a mother named Mary. Jesus' earthly life began then; however, John says, he must have lived all the time with God. John 1:1 says, "In the beginning was the Word and the word was with God and the word was God." When you think of Jesus, are you amazed at his eternal and timeless existence? Do we understand that Jesus was around at the beginning of the world? (This sure expands my view of Jesus as simply a man walking around the dusty villages of Israel!).

Take a read from 1 John 1:1-4--- if you don't have a Bible handy - here's a link: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20John;&version=31

What do you think of John's words? That he actually touched Jesus. He was able to see and hear Jesus. Can you believe the word of John, the author?

No comments: