Monday, January 12, 2009

More thoughts on "Identity"

After preaching yesterday about Identity, I thought I needed to share a bit more about the impact of really understanding our true identity in Christ.

A couple of thoughts I would like to throw around...
- How is our life changed when we understand we are loved by God? Are we able to be a bit more secure when others don't love us? Can we listen to God's voice of affirmation over other voices of stress, condemnation & doubt?
God's word challenges us to live as a new creation, not to hold onto the old way of living. Yes, it's hard to forget and deny our old identity, but very worthwhile!

- Being a child of God...
Do we approach God as our Father? A father who cares for our needs, or do we see God as distant and disconnected? Imagine if we are able to speak to God as Jesus spoke to His Father. With brutal honesty and raw emotion, Jesus called out to God. Can you imagine as Jesus fasted in the desert and was tempted by Satan. Over and over, the humanity would try to doubt the purpose of Jesus' life, but the true identity prevailed as Jesus trusted God and knew where his strength needed to come from.

...Chosen by God
-- this point was brought up by someone after the service. Their comment, which I love engaging in discussion, was that they felt that they were always chosen by God. Yes there was free will, but they have felt a calling on their life by God, that is/ was very hard to shake.
- I would have to agree about God choosing us. Now, I will admit that I don't understand how predestination works or who God chooses, but I do know God gives us enough freedom to stray, but also gives us enough faith to know his love is calling us into his family.

I love Ephesians 1:4 "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as sons through Jesus Christ..."

I gain a lot of strength and encouragement that God chose me, rather than me choosing God!
Enjoying being a child of God,
Paul

No comments: