Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Lesson from a Snowball


Yesterday was a different day. After a big dump of heavy snow on Sunday night, the first day of school for the new year was cancelled and everybody worked to have access to the roads. However, after starting to drive around, I quickly found out the roads were only a haven to get hung up on mounds of snow and test the grip of my 2 winter tires.

So, I decided to stay around the house and join in the camraderie of shovelling with my neighbors. After finishing shovelling, and resting my weary back, I headed outside with my kids again.

After Hannah and Sam begged me to build a snowman, a family trudged by in the snow. The mother questioned Hannah, "What are you going to do with that snowball?" Hannah quickly replied, "It's not a snowball, it's part of a SNOWMAN!"

Hannah and Sam continued to play. When inside, I addressed Hannah's remark by saying, "Hannah, you when that lady talked to you about the snowball, you don't have to correct her, that's not your job." As these words came out of my mouth, I could sense God teaching me a lot more than I was ever going to teach Hannah.

I knew God was saying to me, "Quit trying to play God by telling others what to do, it's not your job Paul." It was his gentle voice urging me to let the Holy Spirit convict people of their sin, and not for me to jump on people.

I have to admit, even after God spoke so loudly, I still struggle with judging quickly (sure my heart may be right) but it doesn't excuse my actions. Yes, I too am a sinner. Thankfully God in his grace taught me something through a snowman/ or snowball.

Does God teach you through children? Through snowpeople :)

...Always learning,

Paul

No comments: