Monday, April 28, 2008

The mystery of prayer

The past couple days, I've really been struck by the mystery of prayer. Let me explain...for most people they will admit to praying at some time and to some one.

As I was reading a passage in Matthew 4:23, it says Jesus, "climbed up the mountain so he could be by himself and pray. He stayed there alone, late into the night." Isn't this amazing? That Jesus, who was fully God, even found an importance to retreat and be alone with God. You'd think Jesus would have been in-tune enough with the Father to hear his voice and respond appropriately. But was Jesus, distracted by the crowds, the culture just as much as we are today?

I like the words of David in the Psalms, "Be still and know that I am God." There is something freeing in being still and quiet before God. To know that God can hear us and that he's waiting to converse with us. I think of my children, who desire my attention. They will put up with me, not giving them my full attention, but love to sit and tell me about their day and talk with me.

Am I willing to retreat, to be with God? Are you willing to hear the voice of your creator? Carving some time in your day, just like Jesus? Is it worth it? Let's find out.

No comments: