Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Feeling out of place...

This being my first blog ever...I'll keep the controversial statements for a bit later. But if ever you want to respond...ask a question, disagree, (as Nike says...)JUST DO IT! I love a good discussion!

Do you ever feel out of place? Like you've shown up somewhere and you're wondering how did I end up here? At times my life seems quite surreal that way...especially as I reflect on 2007. Through the year I encountered a bunch of different cultures (Hawaiin & Thai), but also the culture of a boy (my son) who is trying to learn to express himself and likes to yell at me when he doesn't get his way.

What did I learn from all of these different encounters with people? I certainly learned a lot about how people desire to be loved. Now I won't exclude myself from this "not so new idea." Whether it was in Thailand, on the streets of Phuket or on the beach in Waikiki, people want to be noticed, accepted and loved. I am reminded of the depth of these words from 1 Corinthians 13, verse 4, "Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud." Isn't that what love is supposed to be. It is not easy to practice or give this type of love, but it is very rewarding - for the recipient and the giver.

...Paul

No comments: