Monday, August 29, 2011

Being Together

What is the church? And really do we understand what we are supposed to be representing? Do you ever head into a store in a big mall and wonder, "What in the world is this item doing in this store?" I remember going to a store when I was growing up, and you never knew what was going to be in that store - they had a lot of weird and crazy items, and yet I never bought much from there, b/c I guess I never really knew what to expect if I purchased the item there.

For me, it seems too often the church (not a service on a Sunday), but a group of people who are forgiven by Jesus and claim to have a new savior & king, forget what it is supposed to be representing. The apostle Paul makes the calling of the church pretty clear when he says, "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's spirit lives in you?" (1 Corinthians 3:16). Wow - so this group of people are actually a people of worship. They are defined by how they live together and care for others, and most importantly represent Jesus.

So if you know Jesus, you can't be alone. Paul clears this up by saying, "You" which is plural, are "God's temple." So we are the church....together. So really it isn't an option of how am I feeling or do I have time, but we are the church when we are together. And to clarify this togetherness doesn't happen too well when we sit in rows, but community happens more effectively when we are in circles. Are we willing to sit and listen and love and care for one another.

I am challenged to think more about the church being us, rather than a production. I am challenged to see the church grow, by our willingness to show love to one another, rather than flashy programs. How do you see the church...being the church together?

No comments: