Monday, February 21, 2011

the deep struggle of death and the great BIG GOD

This past week was one of those odd weeks as a pastor where you just can't train for. Upon receiving a call from a funeral director that a family was looking for a pastor to officiate at a funeral, I asked about the details. I was saddened to hear of a 20 year old had died.

As I met with the family, then worked on what I would share, and went through a somber week of reflection, I did realize a deep sense of loss. There was a deep sense of loss where I saw so many hopes and dreams that were not yet realized (in this case - friendships, marriage, college, travel, fishing, laughter) in the life of this popular 20 year old. Why it was all gone, I can not explain.

So what could I say in front of this crowd of people (over 400) who were searching for comfort, or words of hope.....well, really all I could (and should) deliver was about comfort & hope in God. Here's an excerpt of what I shared:

"I’m not sure what type of God you believe in….but the problem is if you think God is only in a church, or far away – he’s not going to be much help today….if God in your mind is really small and wimpy…I want you to give that God the boot today.

I want to invite you to believe in a God that is BIG and CARING and RELATIONAL....

Hear these words of hope and promise:

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear.” Psalm 46:1,2"

So are these words (the Bible Verses) that will bring back this young man...NO way! But, my sincere prayer is these words will offer hope for all who read them in a GREAT BIG GOD.
I'm not sure what you are grieving the loss of or struggling deeply with this week....but I invite you to step out and believe in the God of the Bible - a BIG, and Caring and relational God -for He is the one who can give us strength when we need it most.

No comments: